Wednesday, July 6, 2011

What a Month!

Sights & Sounds……..

It’s been a whirlwind of a month, I must say. Starting the first week of June with a week in Colorado. Here's what happened:

The Foundation For Sight & Sound held it’s first Brewmaster Golf Classic on June 6th with 30 happy golfers. The event was full of fun, along with, of course …..golf, lunch, and a nice BBQ dinner. A heartfelt thank you to Ken Kelly who helped put this event together. Also, a very special thank you to the many volunteers who helped make the day a great one!

Tuesday was the Taste of Elegance Beer & Food Pairing Competition. 100% of the auction proceeds went directly to benefit the foundation. It was a well attended event and of course we were delighted to to have the foundation be a part of it. You can see the pictures by going to our photo gallery.

The Day of Giving Hearing Aid Mission is a beautiful illustration of how the foundations funds are utilized. I’m sure if you are reading the blog, you read the last post about this!

Finally, the trip ended with a 20 minute presentation to the Arapaho SERTOMA group where an accounting of the weeks activities were discussed. Donnalee told an emotional story about Shirley Hicks who was a reciepient of 2 hearing aids. I must admit I had some tears in my eyes, as did at least 6 other grown men. Donnalee was proud to participate in our first Pueblo mission and was responsible for the photography.

At the end of our trip, we took the Red Eye home with very little sleep, almost not getting on the plane as it was a full flight. Thanks to Jet Blue, they worked their magic and got us on as scheduled and got us home safely. A special thank you to Michael Arthurs who was able to save the foundation money by donating the two round trip tickets. I was back to work by 10am but fell asleep at the computer.

Saturday morning it was up early to Rappell down a 12 story building to raise money for the Foundation For Sight & Sound. I was one of the first people to go Over the Edge. But as luck would have it, I got hung up around the 4th floor (just felt like hanging out) as my brake locked. I had trouble loosening it but after 10 minutes I was finally able to lower myself. Aww, what the heck, it was no big deal, nothing to panic about.

Well, the following week was yet another big challenge as I rode my tandem bike 100 miles. Donnalee was at the helm navigating and steering the bike to it’s final destination… beautiful Montauk! I must tell you though, that when we got to the 50 mile checkpoint, Donna was tired and said that she wasn't sure she would make it the next 50 miles. So being the nice guy that I am, I gave her a choice to continue or turn back….chuckle. It took us 11 ½ hours total with 10 hours actual riding. Riding a tandem bike is a bit slower due to more weight and drag. I was so jealous of the folks who did it in half the time, but honestly, another new accomplishment. So what should I do next? Skydiving?

This past week I flew back to Colorado to give an inspiring motivational presentation to the Colorado Hearing Society. I guess they did actually enjoy it since they laughed at my corny jokes and payed attention to my messages. Interestingly enough, the interactive audience participation with blindfolds and earplugs are always a big hit and never fails at driveing a good many points home. The presentation was almost 2 hours and was probably one of my better presentations.

I’m now back to work on the Foundation For Sight & Sound’s many exciting projects including our upcoming Day of Giving at Montefiore Hospital in the Bronx on July 23, our 2nd annual Golf Classic at Sandspoint and too finish off the summer, it's The Family & Friends Summer End Bash at the Crest Hollow CC. I do hope I'll see you at one of these events.

The Help America Hear Program continues to fit more people and there are more inquires for applications. Since January 2009 we have fit over 180 men, women &children with hearing aids. During this time period, there have been over 1400 requests for applications.

The Foundation depends on corporate and private donations. If you know someone who has the capacity to make a donation, please send them our way. It is appreciated more then words can express.. Please consider putting us in your year end giving plan or in your will.

More to come soon……

Respectfully submitted…….

Mitchel Shapiro

No comments:

Post a Comment